Research Fellow in Power System Optimization for Distributed Energy Resources Planning
CNRS@CREATE, located in Singapore, invites applications for a position as Research Fellow (postdoctoral researcher) in Power System Optimization for Distributed Energy Resources Planning. The research fellow will be hired by CNRS@CREATE and based in Singapore. Singapore is globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation. We offer a challenging job which is part of an integrative project, in order to develop a Distributed Energy Resources Management System (DERMS). The project involves the Grenoble Electrical Engineering Laboratory (G2ELab) on the French side and the Energy Research Institute at NTU (ERI@N) in Singapore along with Singapore Power (SP), the distribution grid operator in Singapore.
The objective of the DERMS project is to develop a platform for the operation of distribution networks with a high penetration of distributed resources (photovoltaic, storage systems, electric mobility, etc), with the distribution grid at NTU considered as a testbed.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND MAIN TASKS
The DERMS teams are looking for a Research Fellow in Power System Optimization for DER planning. The successful candidate will be in charge of developing an optimal planning tool for the siting and sizing of DERs in a distribution grid. A specific attention will be attached to the simulation of the system operation along their expected lifetime and while avoiding prohibitive computational times. The developed methodology shall consider grid reinforcement as well as the connection of new assets and with different scenarios regarding the installation of DER ‘behind the meter’ at the end user side.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Applicants should hold a PhD and have an established publication record in a relevant field – Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with expertise in power systems analysis and optimization
- DER modelling and operation – photovoltaic panels, storage systems, electrical vehicles.
- Knowledge in data an analysis for clustering and classification purposes (e.g. K-Means, Markov Chains)
- Expertise in constrained optimization methods and algorithms – convex optimization (LP,QP), mixed integer programming, dynamic programming, heuristics, among others
- Simulation/modelling and development tools – Matlab, Python, Java, C, etc; Constrained optimization and Mathematical Language Programming and experience in optimization solvers would be a plus – GAMS, Julia, YALMIP, CPLEX, GUROBI, GLPK, among others
- Power System Analysis for distribution networks – load flow, contingency mitigation, losses reduction, voltage profiles optimization, grid reconfiguration, MV/LV network modelling
- Strong analytical and communication skills, ability to present clearly and concisely
- Ability to work in an international environment, learn from experienced researchers and transfer knowledge
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT TERMS
The appointment will be based on the agreement with the CNRS@CREATE. We offer competitive salary and the period of employment can be up to 3 years. Expected starting date 1st of Dec. 2020, to be modulated according to Covid constraints.
Salary: gross monthly salary will be minimum s$5000 (12 monthly wages per year)
Bonus: up to 1 month, (conditionally)
Benefits: as a full-time employee, you will be eligible for the benefits that CNRS@CREATE offers.