Post-doc Research Assistant in Law
Job offer posted on 20 July 2022
DesCartes Program (Work Package 7) is looking for a Research Fellow position in legal research (IP/IT, data governance).
The DesCartes programme is developing a hybrid AI, combining Learning, Knowledge and Reasoning, which has good properties (need for less resources and data, security, robustness, fairness, respect for privacy, ethics), and demonstrated on industrial applications of the smart city (digital energy, monitoring of structures, air traffic control).
The program brings together 80 permanent researchers (half from France, half from Singapore), with the support of large industrial groups (Thales SG, EDF SG, ESI group, CETIM Matcor, ARIA etc.).
The research will take place mainly in Singapore, at the premises of CNRS@CREATE, with a competitive salary and generous funding for missions.
Read more about the DesCartes program here.
WP7 focuses on the ways in which AI is embedded in, shaped by, and responds to societies and their diverse cultures, values, and environments. WP7 adopts an integrative contextualised approach and incorporates social & legal concerns on fairness & privacy in AI technology design to generate comprehensive and fresh human-centred frameworks and guidelines to ensure positive societal and cultural take-up and impact. WP7 aims to elaborate recommendations to promote creative & effective ways for communicating & collaborating about AI systems and increase AI literacy.
The Research Associate will assist with primary legal research in a variety of legal fields associated with cutting edge Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology research, from innovation and intellectual property laws to data governance (including access to data, data commons, compliance with data protection laws). The Research Associate will contribute to the development of best practice guidelines and participate in research administrative tasks.
- Assist in primary legal research on databases such as Lexis-Nexis, HeinOnline on areas of data governance and technology law such as data protection, data privacy, IP;
- Support in research collation;
- Prepare and develop data governance frameworks and prepare summaries of research materials which involves reading and drafting written summaries of regulatory primary materials, legal judgments, and secondary materials; and
- Provide support in other research administrative tasks.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- A good undergraduate law degree from a reputable law school with some experience in research, and/or experience in technology IP/IT law and data protection law, etc.
- Formal qualification in computer science or technology preferred
- Solid understanding of technology an advantage
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Organised and meticulous
- Capable of following instructions meticulously
- Capable of working independently
FURTHER INFORMATION & CONTACT
Gross Monthly Salary Range (SGD): 4000 to 6300 (depending on suitability and experience).
Workplace Address: CREATE Tower, 1 Create Way #08-01 Singapore 138602
Interested applicants please send your resume to:
– Prof. Amélie Favreaux, University Grenoble Alpes (France): firstname.lastname@example.org
– Prof. Hannah Yee-Fen Lim, Nanyang Business School, NTU: email@example.com
Please attach your full CV, with the names and contacts (including email addresses) of two-character referees.
This job offer is also available on My Careers Future SG.